"Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured" -Pres. Hinckley

Friday, February 19, 2010

Flyin' Solo


Can I just write and brag about my dad for just a second? I have the cutest dad and I was reading an entry in my journal and thought it was good enough to share on my blog.

At the beginning of this year I flew to Kentucky to meet Brad's family for new years. If you know me, you will have known where my family takes vacations and that I don't fly in airplanes all too often. The Olsen's famous vacation spot is Yellowstone, Yellowstone, and Yellowstone. So airplanes are quite the experience since I usually just drive to places. it was my very first time flying alone because Brad had flown a few weeks before me and I was going to meet him.

Let's be honest... I was quite nervous so my dad took me to the airport. Parked the car, walked me in, got my luggage taken care of, printed off my ticket, walked me to the gate and watched me while I walked through security til he couldn't see me anymore. I looked back to see him as tiny as possible because of distance and I saw him give me thumbs up. I blew him a kiss and walked away. I know this isn't that big of a deal, but to me it meant the world that he did that. I was so scared and he walked me through everything until I could do it by myself. He gave me directions on what to do when I switched planes and told me everything! I can't lie... when I blew him a kiss and walked away I got so teary eyed and realized how much I really love my dad. I always have loved him, but my heart was so grateful for what he does for me! I was in the airplane writing in my journal about how I felt about that moment and I'll be honest, I couldn't hold back my tears. I can't help but think and relate it to how Heavenly Father must have felt when he was getting ready to send us to earth. He told us what he could and then had to say goodbye and probably gave us a thumbs up while we blew him a kiss. I hear that it's hard for dad's to let their daughters get married... but I'm sure it will be hard for me when I get married someday to say goodbye and blow him a kiss. But I know he'll always be there for me with a thumbs up. I love my dad. Growing up he always gives us high fives when we walk by him and he is the most patient, loving man I've ever known. I'm so grateful for my dad and hope I marry someone a lot like him! I love you Dad!!

2 comments:

  1. Aubs, you're so cute! I love your blog. Don't you just love dads? I've had a few of those experiences lately with my dad, and words can't describe how much I cherish them. I love you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubrey I love that you have a blog! Let's be blog friends.

    Aren't dads the best? I flew by myself a couple weeks ago and my dad watched me till I got through security. I looked back to see him waving goodbye and it made me a little teary eyed too. Sounds like you have a sweet dad.

    Also, this Brad fellow seems like a sweetheart. I'm so happy for you, you deserve it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete