"Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured" -Pres. Hinckley

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dare to Dream!

(my little sis skydiving!)

"there are some people who live in a dream world, and there are some who face reality; and then there are those who turn one into another"
douglas h. everett

I absolutely LOVE this quote. It is so true! My friend always tells me how I live in a "dream world". Even though this isn't necessarily a GOOD thing, but i'm happy to admit that I do. There is something so rewarding about working so hard for something you really want and finally achieving it.

Before I went to Africa I have to admit, I was so stressed with being able to afford it.. in fact, a few months before I left was the first time that I've had to ask my parents for money. I didn't know how it was all going to work out, but I made sure to pay my tithing and worked my butt off. With the help of so many friends and family, and huge hearts of so many around me, I was able to fundraise the entire trip. It was seriously such a miracle. There would be times when I would open up my scriptures and someone left a "secret" note with $100 donation. I felt so blessed and will forever be so grateful for everyone who helped me be able to get to Africa and live one of my biggest dreams.

But I've come to learn that if there is something you are really passionate about, or really want to do NOTHING should be stopping you. Not money, not fear, nothing! The hardest part is making the decision to DO IT... once your focus is on the "why" part of what you want to do, the "how" falls into place.

While I was on a bus ride in the middle of Africa on dirt roads and passing small villages, I thought to myself "I finally am living my dream, but when I get home, then what?" And I had to think of my next dream. My good friend told me to write down a bucket list of 100 things... which, if you've tried you realize that you have to RACK your brains out for 100 things to put on paper.

Here's a few on my list:
-Fly in a hot-air balloon
-Go Scuba diving
-Skydiving (a given)
-Fly in a helicopter
-Visit a castle in England
-Go on a road trip with no destination
-Learn how to play the harmonica in a hamick (just because)
-Swim with a dolphin
-Be a dental hygienist that travels to 3rd world countries


the list goes on.

My grandpa turned 80 this past year and decided to go paragliding! I love that and hope when I'm that old I'll still have it in me to turn dreams into reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment